Running, CrossFit or lifting weights, people understand that living a healthy lifestyle is essential, but there is an ancient form of physical and mental awareness that has captivated millions across the United States.
When you think of Yoga, the first thing that might come to mind is the seemingly impossible poses. The Peacock Pose and the Downward-Facing Dog? It doesn’t mean turning yourself into a human pretzel! Yoga may seem odd and even intimidating, but it has many positive benefits that can have you feeling and looking great into the New Year.
What is Yoga?
Developed 5,000 years ago in India, Yoga is a comprehensive system for your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being. The immediate translation of Yoga is “union”, which aims to connect physical exercise with an improved control of the mind and breathing. There are different forms of psychical yoga that include:
Each is different in concentration and you can learn more about them here.
What Are the Benefits?
The key value to the physical part of yoga is the series of different poses, stances and positions that help your body become more flexible. With these poses, you start to unlock a different understanding of yourself by putting your body into positions it’s never been in before, making it accustomed to movement and change.
Yoga provides core strengthening, more flexibility and helps you lose weight. It also increases your cardio through respiratory endurance with controlled breathing. Through various poses, Yoga can help with stress thanks to the mental challenges it brings.
If you’re looking into Yoga, there are many places in McAllen that will gladly help you on your way:
- McAllen Nature Center – With just $1, you can try out Yoga at the McAllen Nature Center. Bring your yoga mat, exercise mat, towel or small blanket and some water and you’re all set! You’ll have personalized instructions and custom poses to work with for any body type or skill level. Try Sunset Yoga or Yoga under the Oaks!
- Town Lake at Firemen’s Park – There is nothing more relaxing than meditating by the water. With your yoga mat or small blanket, every Saturday from 9:30 AM until 10:30 AM, you can start your weekend off right for just $5 per person!
McAllen Yoga Classes
If you want to make Yoga a permanent part of your lifestyle, there are many beneficial locations right here in McAllen as well. Find the perfect place to practice your physical and mental disciplines to help you achieve a better balance in life:
- Corazón Yoga Studio – This location focuses on the interior and exterior of your body, bringing mindfulness and awareness through yoga and meditation practices. Learn more about how you can try your first class for free!
- Mandala Yoga Spa – With over 20 years of experience, this location’s team of professionals has created and designed programs, workshops and projects that will fit you!
- Colibri Discoveries – Providing health and wellness services and methods to residents across the Rio Grande Valley. From Kids Yoga to Aerial Yoga, you can discover all of their available classes here!
- Fit City Studios – Develop a strong mind, soul and body with these yoga classes. With a certified Ashtanga Vinyasa instructor, you will be leading your way to a healthier and newer you! Get three FREE Yoga classes here.
Should You Try It?
People might be hesitant about trying Yoga because they don’t feel they’re flexible. Many people are also intimidated because they are afraid that people around them will be judging, but Yoga is all about focusing on yourself at any and every level of psychical fitness. The best thing to invest in for the New Year is yourself, so try out some Yoga!